Monday, September 26, 2011

The Two Twilight Sparkles

Wow, it seems like I'm typing something every day now. I hope I can keep up this momentum, the more I type the more people I can get to read this. Anyway, as I mentioned in my first post, I am a Brony. For those who don't know what that means and are too lazy to look back at that post, it means I'm a guy who watches My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Here's a link if you haven't seen it yet: Link to be added later as I am typing this at school and youtube is blocked. In the past few months, more and more people have been becoming Bronies. As of two weeks ago, many (Thousands? Tens of thousands? Anyone have a number?) have been tuning in every Saturday to catch the second season. This came as a bit of a surprise to me. When my friend first told me about the show, I assumed he watched it with his younger cousins or something. When I noticed it mentioned on forums, I thought that this fan base was watching it ironically. That's how I started watching it at least. Now, however, its at a point where any humor from watching it ironically would be gone, so why are we still watching it? Well, because its a great show, and for some reason, it appeals to us.
So, a show targeted at little girls seems to appeal to a male audience. Whatever. I mean, the show was created by Lauren Faust who is known for making some really amazing shows in the past. It doesn't really show a connection to some bigger thing. Or does it? A show that just a few years ago would have appealed only to the stereotypical girl has now found most of its fans in guys aged about 15-30. But that's not all. There is another odd thing happening on the other side.

Question: What is currently one of the most, if not the most, popular franchise among young women today? If you answered Twilight, you probably just read the title of this post, but you're still right. Yes, yes, we've all had our fun making fun of the series, but let's try looking at it for a minute. What is it about? I don't mean all that deep stuff about love and whatever, I mean on the outside, first glance, what is it about? Two species of monsters tearing each other apart in an all out war. Hm. Interesting. Sounds like the plot of a series that, just a few years ago, would seem to appear more to the stereotypical boy.

So, what does this mean? Well, as of now, not much, honestly. Just some observations I made while watching the season premiere of My Little Pony. It could mark the start of a fall of the past stereotypes, or maybe, but not likely, a complete flip of the stereotypes, but not really much else. I mean, Twilight's appeal doesn't come from the all out war, but rather the underlying themes. I don't watch My Little Pony because it's about ponies, but because it's about ponies who fight dragons, mantacores, eternal darkness, and eternal chaos. But this still has the potential to be a gateway into...something. I don't know. If I think of more, I'll right another post about it, but I didn't really have much time to think about it. Eventually I had to turn my attention to the epic battle against Discord.

No comments:

Post a Comment